We’ve added an element of buttery, white chocolate decadence to this delicious granola-style bar. The toastiness of the oats and sesame bring a warmth and depth of flavour that’s irresistible. Be sure to use quick, or the bars will be too crumbly.
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C)
- Lightly coat an 8”x 8” (20 cm x 20 cm) casserole dish or cake pan with cooking spray or butter and press in the Butterscotch Crumbs evenly and firmly.
- Pour the white chocolate chips on top of the patted down butterscotch crumbs; distributing evenly and right to the edges. Set aside.
- In a large, dry, skillet over medium heat, toast the quick oats and sesame seeds until lightly golden; stirring or tossing constantly so as not to burn. Once toasted, tip out into a large bowl.
- To the toasted oats and sesame, add the crisp rice and coconut, stir to blend well, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, honey, and brown sugar, stirring often, until the butter has melted and the ingredients are well blended – about 2 minutes – continue to heat and stir until the butter mixture is bubbling slightly; about another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to blend well.
- Pour the warm butter mixture into the dry oat mixture and stir until evenly mixed and coated.
- Tumble the wet mixture onto the butterscotch-white chocolate crumb crust, and press evenly and firmly – loosely packed bars tend to crumble when cool.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until just lightly golden.
- Set bars aside for about 45 minutes – 1 hour at room temperature. Once cooler but still slightly warm, run a knife around the edge of the pan. Place a flat cutting board on top of the pan, and gently but quickly flip over. You should hear a wee thud as the slab comes out of the pan – tap the bottom of the pan if need be.
- Now, while still warm, with a very sharp knife, cut into bars; the shape and size is up to you, but they’re pretty rich, so we suggest 2- or 3-inch squares. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.