Seriously decadent and chocolaty, these squares are perfect for one-bite sweet satisfaction. Okay, maybe two. Go for the darkest chocolate you enjoy, to offset the sweetness a bit.
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
- Pre-heat oven to 325F (160C)
- Into the bottom of an ungreased, heavy – glass, ceramic, Pyrex – baking pan (8" x 8"), add the butterscotch crumbs; firmly and evenly pressing right to the edges.
- Bake the crumb base for about 10 to 15 minutes or until just slightly more golden. Remove from oven and set aside near the stove.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add the whole can of condensed milk and the butter. Using a whisk to stir constantly – the milk will stick and burn if not. Bring up to a gentle boil and, still whisking vigorously, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture over shortbread base, if very thick, use the back of a spatula to spread out to the edges, and return to the oven for about another 10 -15 minutes or until bubbly and light brown around edges.
- In a small bowl, mix the chocolate chips and Skor bits together, then sprinkle and spread evenly over the hot dish of squares. Pop back into the oven for about 2 minutes or until the chocolate chips are shiny and beginning to melt. Remove from oven and either allow to cool as is, or, drag a fork through the chips, creating a streaky, frosted appearance.
- When still just slightly warm, run a sharp knife around the edges, and cut the squares into 2-inch pieces. Allow to fully cool before removing from pan.